Saturday, August 8, 2015

Being The Only Female At Work

So recently I quit my job as a server to go work for my dad. The jobs a little hard to explain I do controls but basically its electrical work and that requires me to be on construction sites. Well let me just tell you there is no looking cute in construction. I go in in boots and jeans and a bright neon yellow shirt with my hard hat and tool belt just like every other guy there. But that does not stop them from staring at me like I'm some foreign object. 

I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to work for my company and everyone warned me of how hard it would be, lots of physical work, I carry a heavy latter with me everywhere I go, and I am doing a mans job.  Nothing sexual harassment like has happened but I have been asked out a few times and creeped on pretty hard but that's no different than anytime a woman walks down the street these days. I don't know when it became expectable to cat call at people.  

My first job site I was on was a hospital and one day I'm up on a 10 foot latter ( I AM DEATHY AFRAID OF HEIGHTS and yes that is a major part of my job so why I agreed to stay I ask myself every time I climb up anything... Especially the roof) and around 8am is when all the other guys the electricians, drywallers, insulation, pipers, ductworkers and a few other guys go on break. So I'm up on this latter wiring up a dac for the AC unit and I start to feel a little awkward. I look over at this group of 20+ guys huddled in a circle maybe 20 feet away staring at me. I go back to what I was doing and 10 minutes go by and they are all still staring! 

At this point I'm feeling pressured because I'm brand new barely know what I'm doing messing with wires 10 feet off the ground and awkward because I know I'm the odd ball out of everyone there. But as more time goes by I start to get pissed! And I mean sweaty, teeth quenching, face on fire pissed. Well as the quick to act without thinking, outspoken person I am, I climbed down stomped right over to all of them and said 

"Hello everyone my names Owlette95, yes I am a fucking girl and yes I am going to be working here! So now that you all know who I am, can you stop fucking staring at me like a bunch of creeps!" 

From that point on they kept their stared to a minimum and actually started conversations with me. Though they were all still way overly nice to me, my coworker even told me "I like when your around people don't bitch at me. Although it is annoying that more people then ever are now talking to me just because your around." But honestly I just want to be left alone at work. I want to go in do my job for the day and leave. 

The smaller job sites I'm on aren't as bad but the bigger ones make me nervous. Not because of the potential things that could happen or things people say but being stared at. It's like these guys have never seen a chick before! And I have to bust my ass to get everyone use to me. I have to go out of my way to talk to them here and there and I am a really shy person so I'm horrible with new people but by the time everyone knows me and everything feels comfortable the jobs done. Then I get sent to a new site with new people and I have to start all over.   

But despite everything I really do love my job and I'm working with some great people so far. Right now I'm at a school and I sure do find ways to entertain myself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment